After spending seven years as a stay-at-home mother of three, Julie Starr Hook decided to become a professional organizer.
This was a great career decision. I formed Five Starr Organizing in 2003, and have been going strong for over a decade. To build my brand awareness I have done many speaking engagements, am a regular guest on Portland, Oregon’s morning show AMNW. I have also written over 250 columns on organizing and published a book, called “From Frazzled to Freedom” in June of 2012.
My best advice for budding entrepreneurs: is to not give up on your company. There are many times when a new business doesn’t pay the
1. Be realistic on how long it takes to get a business up and running. It may take 2-3 years to make money on your business. Don’t expect that money will roll in right away.
2. You have to give to get. There are many times that I can recall when I had to decrease the cost of my services or donate my services in order to build my business.
3. Explore as many “free” advertising tools as possible. I wrote for a newspaper for 6 ½ years that gave me brand awareness. I made $20 an article each week. This may seem crazy, but it built my brand.
4. Get involved in a group of others in the same industry. This will encourage you and keep you up on the latest trends, etc….
5. Keep your customers happy by good follow through and thank yous.
6. Maintain your customer list with their current information.
7. Check in with your customers as much as possible.
8. Be willing to try new marketing ideas if what you are doing is not
9. Don’t let fear stop you from getting your business name out to the public. Stretch yourself!
10. Get support from friends and family. This will help give you momentum during those tough times and you can share with them the joys, too.
What is a must-have site or resource all entrepreneurs should know and follow?
Pick two or three social media outlets that you can really focus on. Don’t let social media bog you down. For me, I spend a lot of time investing in a quality website and that has proven to pay off. I am also on Linked in and Facebook. Only spend your time doing what you can devote instead of doing things half way. Find a good resource for others in your field where you can connect.
I have two Quotes ‘to live by.” “Dream Big” “Work smarter, not harder.”